Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 03 May 2016
Position Title : Operations Officer
Duty Station : Kigoma, Tanzania
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 May 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Officer, administrative supervision of the Head of Sub Office and in close coordination with other relevant units in Kigoma and Dar es Salaam, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for ensuring that refugees are transported in a safe and efficient manner to processing appointments and international departures according to schedules.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Liaise with the relevant units (such are Medical Health Department and Operations Unit in Dar es Salaam) to determine refugee processing schedules, organize and coordinate ground transport to refugees between the refugee camp and the processing sites within Kigoma region, and to organize and coordinate movements from the refugee camp to the Transit Center prior to charter or commercial flights to resettlement countries.
- Ensure timely logistical arrangement of buses during medical screenings, departures of refugees and interviews with particular emphasis on USRAP. Arrange security and operations escorts, as required.
- Communicate and coordinate with IOM colleagues in Kigoma and Dar es Salaam as well as
with other entities such as RSC, UNHCR, voluntary and governmental agencies and embassies to support the processing and implementation of all Operations aspects of resettlement activities in Kigoma region.
- Consolidate the movement plan for all processing activities to maximize the efficiency of the ground transportation systems in line with various processes, as well as in line with the international resettlement movement plans as established by the Operations Officer in Dar es Salaam.
- Oversee and facilitate smooth departure of refugees scheduled to depart on charter flights from Kasulu airstrip or charter/commercial flights from Kigoma airport.
- Ensure proper verification of the identity of all refugees on ground and air transport. Liaise with UNHCR and the Government of Tanzania to ensure that refugees are in possession of required clearances and documentation. Take steps as needed to prevent fraud and malfeasance within resettlement programs, including the USRAP.
- Provide training and support/guidance in usage of the in house system application tools Migration Management Operational Systems Application (MIMOSA) for Operations staff in IOM Kigoma.
- Ensure that all refugee and staff movements comply with established security protocols in coordination with the Security Officer. Maintain protocols for all staff movements and external individuals within the Kigoma region.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with IOM Kigoma resettlement partners, including RSC and UNHCR, and relevant resettlement countries’ government authorities, to support and provide logistics for US resettlement missions in Kigoma (e.g. budget preparation and agendas).
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in surface and air movement operations and travel planning;
Knowledge of movement management standards and regulations, particularly in the field of US Refugee Admission Programme (USRAP);
• Knowledge of Migrant Management and Operational Systems Application (MiMOSA);
• Experience working with transport providers, governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international organizations;
• Experience conducting USRAP resettlement activities is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Kiswahili is an advantage.
- With possible relocation to Makere in 2017.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 03 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 20.04.2016 to 03.05.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/89 (P) - Operations Officer (P2) - Kigoma, Tanzania (54787868) Released
Posting: Posting NC54787869 (54787869) Released