Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 11 May 2016
Team Leader/Governance Expert, Design of Mid and Final Evaluation of DFID I4ID Program, Tanzania
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
SI is preparing a tender to design and then implement a midterm review (early 2019) and final evaluation (early 2021) for DFID’s five-year Institutions for Inclusive Development (I4ID) Program. The goal of the program is to strengthen democratic governance institutions in Tanzania to be more inclusive and accountable and strengthen economic growth to provide more benefits to poor people. Work would be conducted over five years, beginning August 2016 with the nine-month design phase. The design would establish, with DFID and the implementing partner, a core set of evaluation questions linked to the program’s Theory of Change. Upon approval, the mid-term review would be completed by April 2019; and the final evaluation by June 2021.
SI is seeking a Team Leader to lead the evaluation design phase, and the eventual mid-term review and final evaluation. S/he would oversee all technical aspects of the work and team members, design and implement and design high quality evaluations, and serve as a liaison to the DFID office. The position would be based from home, with intermittent trips to lead the evaluation activities.
\Please note: Female candidates are encouraged to apply.**
· Oversee the five-year evaluation implementation, budget, and evaluation team members.
· Lead evaluation design/plan, including developing the existing theory of change for the program, as well as subsequent analyses and research for the three components of the program.
· Lead and conduct the subsequent mid-term review and final evaluations; and oversee team members for each.
· Develop the work plan and budget, coordinate activities, arrange and lead periodic meetings, consolidate individual input from team members, and coordinate the process of assembling the final findings and recommendations into high-quality document.
· Write the final report in concert with other team members.
· Provide overall leadership for the team and be the principal liaison with DFID.
· Oversee implementation of a robust baseline, mid-term, and summative evaluation for the program.
· Consolidate quarterly and annual program reports.
· Track progress against target results as set out in the Business Case, parent log frame and project proposals.
· Oversee the team members in carrying out thematic and formative evaluations e.g. cross cutting issues such as gender, and innovative approaches within the program.
· A minimum of a Master’s degree in a related field.
· 10 years of international professional experience designing evaluations and conducting evaluations of governance and democracy programs in Africa.
· Proven ability to design and deliver high quality evaluations on complex issues on time and on budget.
· Demonstrated ability to employ a range of different and innovative methodologies.
· Excellent knowledge of qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods, including of user-driven evaluations.
· In-depth knowledge of quantitative, as well as participatory and qualitative evaluation techniques.
· Excellent managerial and oversight skills on similar large-scale program evaluations, overseeing multiple team members, partners, and activities.
· Exemplary writing and presentational skills.
· Strong inter-personal and negotiation skills.
· Research capacity building and uptake.
· Prior experience on DFID activities or evaluations strongly preferred.
· Ability and willingness to travel throughout Tanzania; willingness to commit to the duration of the contract.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
How to apply: