Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 30 Apr 2016
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
This is an exciting time to join VSO in Tanzania, which is going from strength to strength in responding to our mission of fighting poverty in a rapidly changing world.
VSO is looking for an exceptional leader to become our Country Director in Tanzania, our largest country programme. You’ll lead VSO Tanzania's programme team as we embark on an exciting and ambitious phase of expansion, building on our successful and highly-regarded programmes in Education, Livelihoods, and Health. As one of the VSO’s team of senior leaders you will have plenty of scope to apply your passion, experience and skills to the challenge of bringing about the change we want to see. And we will have correspondingly high expectations of what you will achieve.
The Country Director will be responsible for:
- leading a team of staff and volunteers to design and implement innovative, high quality, locally owned programmes and projects that can be scaled up rapidly;
- building excellent relations with a wide range of stakeholders so that we extend the influence that VSO can have, building on our core competencies and the voices of primary actors;
- meeting ambitious funding targets and delivering grants professionally so we maintain our high profile for excellence.
Skills, qualifications and experience needed
This opportunity will suit an experienced and entrepreneurial development leader looking for a new challenge. The ideal candidate will have:
• very strong strategic thinking and leadership skills, and political sensitivity;
• excellent representational, networking and donor engagement skills and experience;
• a committed understanding of VSO and volunteerism;
• an understanding of the complex and rapidly-changing context in Tanzania;
• experience of managing complex programmes and operations;
• determination, and adaptability.
Sectoral knowledge of education, livelihoods and health work with experience of working in Tanzania and fluency in local languages would be desirable.
VSO is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all sectors of society. For this role we particularly welcome applications from female candidates.
How to apply:
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please click on the link above, download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form
Application closing date
30th April 2016
8th May 2016
As soon as possible