Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 30 May 2016
Position: Project Manager
Project: Solar utility for off-grid electricity services in Tanzania
Duty station: Arusha with field work in project area.
Duration: 9 months with possible extension
Starting date: August 2016
Salary: to be defined according to qualifications and working experience
Description of the project: the project will improve access to electricity for secondary schools in the Arusha Region, in Tanzania. The target schools, which are boarding schools, have often no access to energy and are not able to provide appropriate education and livelihood standards for students and teachers. This situation is enhancing the educational and economic gap between rural and urban communities preventing their development. The project is supporting the establishment of a Solar fund (Solar WAVE ltd) for the provision, installation and management of renewable energy systems (PV).
General duties: the Project Manager will be responsible of the planning, implementation, monitoring and supervision of the project activities according to project document and donor procedure.
- Coordinate the project team and run / develop the three project components: technical, financial and
· Technical: provide technical support and supervise the installation of PV systems
· Financial mechanism: assure the establishment of transparent and reliable payment mechanism between the Fund and the beneficiaries, introduce sound Fund governance rules, support the strengthening of the Fund and its sustainability
· Institutional and local community relationships: work in close contact with the relevant
institution and with the schools’ boards
- Supervise operational aspects of the project and ensure that Istituto Oikos’ and donors’ procedures are applied and followed
- Administer the budget of the project following donor’s and Istituto Oikos’ internal procedures and under the supervision of the Country Admin
- Monitor and regularly report project proceeding to the Project Supervisor (field mission reports,
monthly reports, mid-term and final report)
- Provide logistics support to project activities
- Support partners in achieving project results according to the signed MoU
- Ensure project visibility, following donors procedure and under the supervision of Istituto Oikos HQ
- Organize and coordinate the missions of international experts, local consultants and donors
- Support the elaboration of new project proposals to be submitted for new funding to consolidate Oikos energy programme in Tanzania
Skills and requirements:
- Degree in environmental engineering, energy engineering or degree in management and economics with expertise on renewable energy technologies.
- At least 2 years’ experience in in the energy sector and in developing countries
- At least 2 years’ experience in project budgets management
- Familiarity with the concept of impact indicators and monitoring
- Basic monitoring tools knowledge (attendance sheets, entry and exit tests)
- Expertise with the concept of renewable energies/sustainable development
- Past experiences in working with institutions and public stakeholders
- Able to base him/herself in remote areas
- Good knowledge of computer and software (word, excel, power point and similar)
- Proficiency in English
- Swahili knowledge and previous experience in Tanzania will be considered has an added value.
How to apply:
Deadline for submission: 30 May 2016
How to apply: Send CV, a letter of motivation and the details of 3 people for professional references email@example.com indicating Vacancy Notice PM/Solar/TZ/2016 in the object of the mail.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
*Istituto Oikos is an independent association founded in 1996 in Milan, which operates in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America, to promote the conservation and sustainable management of natural resources as a tool for economic and social development. To this end, it encourages cooperation and partnerships between organizations of the Global North and Global South; it implements training and education programs and supports responsible tourism initiatives (www.istituto-oikos.org)). Istituto Oikos collaborates with public and private entities, both internationally and in Italy. The main funders of its programs are the European Union, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, public entities such as regional and provincial governments, and individuals.
Since 1999 Istituto Oikos has a local office in Tanzania (Oikos East Africa).