THE 06TH ORDINARY SUMMIT OF ICGLR HEADS OF STATE AND GOVERNMENT HELD IN LUANDA, ANGOLA ON 14TH JUNE, 2016
Hon. Dr. Augustine P. Mahiga (MP), Minister of the Foreign Affairs and East African Cooperation of the United Republic of Tanzania, represented H.E. Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli, President of the United Republic of Tanzania, to this Summit and also led Tanzanian delegation to the Regional Inter-Ministerial Committee (RIMC), held on 12th June, 2016. It should be recalled that this Summit was scheduled to take place in February 2016; however, it was thought worthwhile to postpone the meeting to a later date due to the lack quorum.
The Summit whose theme “Accelerating the effective implementation of the Pact and its Protocols for a more democratic and stable Great Lakes Region” reiterated its primary responsibility to find lasting solutions to peace and security challenges in the region and reaffirmed its strong commitment to the ICGLR Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region and its relatedProtocols.
Among the agenda items, the Summit received and considered the reports and recommendations of the meeting of the Committee of Ministers of Defense held on 11th June, 2016, meeting of the Regional Inter-Ministerial Committee (RIMC) held on the 12thJune, 2016. After consideration of reports, the Summit decided as follows:-
- Welcomed the resumption of the East African led Inter-Burundian Dialogue held from 21stto 24th May, 2016, in Arusha, Tanzania and encouraged the Government of Burundi and the opposition parties to commit to that process. The Summit also recommended that the Facilitator of the Inter-Burundi dialogue, H.E. Benjamin W. Mkapa, former President of the United Republic of Tanzania, be invited to future Ordinary Meetings of the RIMC to brief Member States on the progress of the dialogue;
- Commended DRC Government for the preparations of political dialogue aiming at creating a conducive climate for the next elections. Further urged all Congolese political actors to participate in the dialogue and provide full support to the work of the International facilitator appointed by the African Union Commission;
- Resolved to redouble regional efforts to neutralize all negative forces including FDLR, ADF, LRA and others which continue to disturbalise the region.
- Urged the UN and other concerned parties to accelerate the repatriation of disarmed ex-combatants of the FDLR in the cantonment camps to Rwanda or resettlement to a third country outside the region.
- Welcomed the formation of the Transitional Government of National Unity, and appealed to the region and the international community to sustain support to the government and the people of South Sudan for the sake of peace and stability in the country;
- Supported the efforts of the Republic of Sudan to lift the unilateral and coercive economic sanctions imposed on it by the United States of America, and note with alarm the disproportionate and indiscriminate human cost of these measures on the Sudanese civilian population, and in particular women and children.
- Commendedthe outgoing Executive Secretary, Prof. Ntumba Luaba, for the good services rendered to the organisation during his term, and wish him well in his future endeavours. Thereafter, approved the appointment of Amb.Zachary Muburi-Muita as the Executive Secretary of the ICGLR for a term of 4 years, effective 14/06/2016.
- The Summit avails itself of this opportunity to congratulate the Governments and People of the Republic of Uganda, the Republic of Congo and the United Republic of Tanzania for having conducted peaceful, fair and transparent general elections.
- The Summit finally expressed its profound appreciation to the Government and the people of the Republic of Angola for the warm hospitality extended to all delegations, and for the excellent facilities placed at their disposal to enable the success of the Summit.
17 June 2016