Country: United States of America
Closing date: 02 Aug 2016
Global Health Fellows Program II
Strategic Information and Monitoring & Evaluation Intern
PEPFAR Coordination Office, US Embassy, Tanzania
Anticipated timeframe: August 2016 – February 2017: Compensated 6 month internship
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The Global Health Fellows Program (GHFP-II) is a five year cooperative agreement implemented and managed by the Public Health Institute in partnership with Global Health Corps, GlobeMed, Management Systems International and PYXERA Global. GHFP-II is supported by the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
GHFP-II’s goal is to improve the effectiveness of USAID health programs by addressing the Agency’s immediate and emerging human capacity needs. The program seeks to accomplish this goal first through the recruitment, placement and support of diverse health professionals at the junior, mid and senior levels. These program participants include fellows, interns, corporate volunteers and Foreign Service National professionals. The program then provides substantial performance management and career development support to participants, including annual working planning assistance, and ensures that professional development opportunities are available.
Looking to the future, GHFP-II also seeks to establish a pool of highly-qualified global health professionals that will ensure the Agency’s ongoing technical leadership and effectiveness. This objective is supported by an extensive outreach program that brings global health opportunities and specialized career advice to a diverse range of interested individuals, with a particular focus on those underrepresented in the field of global health.
In cooperation with the US Department of State's Office of the US Global AIDS Coordinator, other US Government (USG) partners, international organizations, and nongovernmental organizations, USAID provides global technical leadership on the full range of issues related to HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment; manages numerous research and field support programs; and monitors the impact of the Agency's HIV/AIDS programs. In this endeavor, USAID works very closely with a range of USG agencies involved in the fight against AIDS, such as the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Defense, and Peace Corps. More information about President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) may be found at http://www.usaid.gov/what-we-do/global-health/hiv-and-aids. PEPFAR implements $415M in Tanzania.
The Strategic Information (SI) and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Intern (Intern) will assist key technical roles and responsibilities in the PEPFAR Coordination Office. The Intern will contribute to the team’s ability to achieve results by providing essential programmatic and technical assistance in SI and specific components of M&E. SI includes M&E, health management information systems, and surveys/surveillance. S/he will assist in the PEPFAR Coordination Office’s role in coordinating the Site Improvement and Monitoring System (SIMS).
The Intern will engage with the SI and M&E focused HIV projects within PEPFAR and will support the SI Team in coordination, planning, and analysis as needed. S/he will collaborate closely with other teams in the Health Office, particularly around HIV, SI and M&E. S/he will work closely with the Senior Strategic Information Liaison as his/her onsite manager.
- Gaining experience in the provision of technical support to SI and M&E activities across the PEPFAR HIV portfolio, particularly the PEPFAR Country Operational Plan and Quarterly Reporting processes.
- Gaining an understanding of the role of PEPFAR, in the overall arena of global health development in Tanzania.
- Deepening skills in collaboration and coordination within a complex organizational and implementation structure.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supporting the PEPFAR Coordination Office in coordinating and implementing the PEPFAR Planning and Reporting processes.
- Participating in technical assistance discussions with the Strategic Information Interagency Task Team, represented by USG agencies and partners.
- Assisting in technical support related activities for PEPFAR-supported SI and M&E projects.
- Other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned based on organizational and programming need and/or the Intern’s own interests.
- Currently enrolled master’s or other post-bachelor’s degree candidate in a program related to public health, social sciences, or a related field; or, completion of such within past 12 months.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Experience in research and analysis.
- Knowledge of healthcare issues in developing countries is preferred.
- Familiarity with Presidential Initiatives with special interest in PEPFAR is preferred.
- US citizenship or US permanent residency required.
$1,690 bi-weekly (exempt, salaried position).How to apply:
Detailed information, including an online application and instructions, is available on our website at www.ghfp.net. All applications must be submitted by August 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm eastern time.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer.