Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 23 Sep 2016
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. (HJF) is seeking aDirector of Finance to support the US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located in Mbeya Tanzania. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
This position supports the financial activities of the Military HIV Research Program in Tanzania. The Director of Finance provides financial support by working closely with all department heads and outside stakeholders. This is to be accomplished through face-to face meetings, conference calls, and via email. To support all of these responsibilities, the Director must possess excellent communication skills and demonstrate initiative. The incumbent develops, interprets and implements financial concepts for financial planning and control. Maintains and develops complex financial reports to track program financial indicators. Assist program staff setting up new financial reports and helping them access the financial information.
- Oversee/manage the daily operations of all financial and accounting components of the organization. Maintain direct responsibility for day-to-day accounting and financial operations to ensure timely monthly closings, reconciliations and compliance.
- Proactively collaborate across multifunctional teams to create an environment that strives for consistency of best practices identified both internally and externally to the organization.
- Provide financial leadership to meet deliverables during various financial cycles including Monthly Close, Quarterly Reviews, Forecast cycles and other ad hoc requests.
- Work closely with other members of the organization and MHRP HQ/HJF HQ to ensure financial impacts of various business decisions are understood, aligned and communicated.
- Provide timely, consolidated, accurate, and reliable financial information to enable the WRP-T and MHRP leaders to incorporate cost considerations into their decision making.
- Oversee formulation, submission, and defense of the budget to MHRP HQ and other various funding agencies.
- Assist with directing financial strategy, planning and forecasts, conferring with senior program leadership and department heads.
- Conduct financial analysis, develop reports, metrics and analysis to extract meaningful and strategically important information from financial data including:
- project level expense-to-budget reports;
- carry-forward analysis by department and stakeholder;
- reporting including key monthly/quarterly financial information;
- Monitor accounting data accuracy to ensure accurate monthly reporting and proper cost allocation per project and funder.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to finance and accounting team members in the areas of accounting, budget, and financial planning.
- Oversee and coordinate the proper and effective use of appropriated resources amongst a varied constituency. Ensure all MHRP accounting and financial practices conform with HJF organizational policies and procedures, USG and other funding agency regulations and in-country statutory requirements. Provide appropriate guidance to support staff, including identification of allowable and non-allowable costs. Liaise leadership on financial aspect of the PEPFAR Expenditure Analysis.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively to provide the highest quality customer service.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
- Oversee audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with outside audit firms and review firm’s performance.
- Supervise/manage Finance and Accounting Team.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of organizational objectives.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficiency in all aspects of corporate accounting and all pertinent GAAP, OMB Uniform Circular, IFRS.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Tanzanian statutory regulations, compliance and reporting requirements.
- High level of proficiency with information technology and standard software programs to effectively utilize QuickBooks, Windows and MS Office applications to include: Excel, Word and PowerPoint – other packages as required. Oracle Financials a plus.
- Excellent communication and relationship skills:
- Able to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external clients and partners.
- Interpersonal skills including face-to-face meetings in individual/group settings or over a telephone;
- Able to adjust communication methods and patterns for a wide variety of potential constituencies.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Proven experience planning, developing, and implementing systems.
- Ability to learn, develop and contribute in a way that promotes and leverages the core values and principles of the Program in all aspects of the job.
- Passion for working in a mission-driven organization.
- Learning organization – the expectation to grow and develop is essential.
- Communication-intensive culture with a high volume of inclusion and activity.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor Degree in financial field or related field,Master Degree preferred.
Minimum Experience: 10 years related experience financial management field; demonstrated, progressively responsible positions including specific experience in budget and financial modeling techniques.
Physical Capabilities: Candidate will relocate to Mbeya with travel to Regional Offices
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: supervises support staff. This position reports to the Senior Operations Director.
Work Environment: Office setting; travel within Africa and US.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
How to apply: