Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 27 Feb 2017
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis.
MdM has been working in Tanzania since 1992 on HIV/AIDS intervention projects. Since 2010 MdM has implemented a Harm Reduction program in Temeke District that focused on prevention of HIV and blood borne infections among People Who Use Drug (PWUD). MdM program now focuses on enhancing access to reduction services for PWUD across the country through its training and resource center (TRC) which provide technical assistance to partners. MdM collaborated with Ministry of Health,Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGE), Tanzania AIDS Control Commission (TACAIDS), Temeke Municipal Council and with local NGOs and network of people who use drugs.
The program in Tanzania is part of the strategy of MdM to disseminate the principles and services of harm reduction across Africa with current focus on East Africa.
In 2017 the intervention in Tanzania will focus on: A Drop In Centre (DIC) & outreach services offering prevention and access to HIV, HBV, HCV and STI testing/care and treatment and referral system, empowerment of self-help support groups and networks, capacity building of local, national and regional stakeholders at selected regions of Tanzania, and advocacy campaigns/workshops for the enhancing access to harm reduction services for PWUD in the most vulnerable regions of Tanzania.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the general coordinator, you will ensure the overall quality of the current program in Dar es Salaam, lead the scale up efforts through dissemination of Harm Reduction model, advocacy, and capacity building of other stakeholders in Tanzania (with inputs for the regional approach). You will be the direct supervisor of the coordinators (training and resource centre coordinator, harm reduction programme coordinator and administrative coordinator), the M&E Manager and the partner liaison officer.
More precisely, you will be in charge of :
The management of the coordination team :
- You will make collaborative management decision
- You will be charge of the quality of the working conditions of the entire Mission
The overall management of support department
- You will supervise compliance of finance, human resources and logistic procedures to MdM rules and regulations
- You will manage small grants and capacity building efforts (in harm reduction technical capacity and organizational development) of local NGO partners and network of people who use drugs
- You will supervise and organise the implementation of safety rules and ensure that rules are applied. You will pass information to desk officer regularly.
- You will guarantee the accomplishment of project objectives defined by the donors is fulfilled and that contractual obligations are respected
The communication with the head office of MDM
- You will be responsible for the quality of the reports on activities and ensures compliance with procedures for the exchange of information and reporting.
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
The position is based in Dar es Salaam, with possible movements on the field
Family posting possible
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Strong INGO experience as head of mission/ country representative
- Strong experience in representation, negotiation with high level government, UN and international institutions
- Experience in management of Harm Reduction, HIV/AIDS and hepatitis C prevention, care and treatment programmes
- Experience in community based programming
- Experience in managing intercultural team
- Motivation to work with local partners and capacity building of multicultural partners
- Interpersonal and diplomatic skills,
- Good negotiation skills and strategic insight
- Financial monitoring and forecasting
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good computer skills including MS Word and Excel PPT
- Knowledge of donors procedures, especially French, UK, GF
- Languages: Fluently spoken and written English is essential, Swahili is a plus, French is a plus
- You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply:
Please apply via : https://mdm.profilsearch.com/recrute/intranet/fo_annonce_voir.php?id=1799&idpartenaire=128