SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Tanzanians to fill a vacant position in the Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine project funded by Wellcome Trust, UK, based at Sokoine University of Agriculture. Application letter accompanied with CV, Birth, Academic and Professional Certificates and recommendation letters from at least two referees be addressed to the DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE), P.O BOX 3000, CHUO KIKUU, MOROGORO, to reach him not later than THREE weeks from the date of this advertisement.
Job position: Research Assistant in Veterinary Epidemiology (One Post)
The Job opportunity in the Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine (IFPHTM) - Foot-and-Mouth Disease (FMD) Project titled “Full-genome is sequencing to identify determinants that impact upon foot and-mouth disease virus strains with potential for enhanced transmission in endemic settings in Africa
Qualifications: Holder of a BVM/BVSc from Government recognized University.
MSc degree in Epidemiology or related area with very good results from a recognized institution will be an added advantage.
- Collection of samples and field epidemiological data during FMD outbreak investigation and targeted epidemiological studies in selected research sites.
- Working with the Principal Investigator (PI) in carrying out selected analyses of data for modelling of FMD outbreaks.
- Participation in the writing of results of the analyses for publication in peer reviewed journals and in any other form of dissemination of research findings, such as research seminars.
- Identify, obtain and maintain relevant research papers and farmers correspondence.
- Undertake data extraction and initial data management of electronic health record data for FMD studies.
- Merging, cleaning and categorising the data, and (under the supervision of the PI) developing and applying code lists for the variables of interest.
Experience: At least (i) two years of working experience in the area of epidemiology of infectious disease, and (ii) six month experience on FMD outbreaks investigation are required. Demonstrable know-how on molecular diagnosis of infectious diseases is an added advantage.
Remuneration: As per Treasury Registrars Salaries Circular No.2 of 2015.
Terms of Service: The appointment will be on contract basis renewable after two years until 31st July, 2020.
Duty Station: Morogoro Region.