Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 01 Apr 2017
Job: Program Officer Tanzania
Department/Area: International Cooperation
Relate to: Tanzania Country Representative, Desk Africa
Location: Dar es Salaam – Tanzania; field visits play a large part of the job; as such, it is expected that the selected person is willing and able to take part in these activities, as and when needed and sometimes with short notice.
Contract type: consultant 12
Apply before: 1st April 2017
Starting Mission: by the end of April / beginning of May 2017
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews may commence prior to the advert closing date.
WeWorld is a non-profit non-governmental organization for development cooperation, recognized by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs; we are independent, non-denominational and apolitical. Established in Milan in 1999, WeWorld works in Italy, Asia, Africa and Latin America to defend and promote the woman and child rights.
WeWorld collaborates with a network of other civil-society organizations to give the most vulnerable people a voice on the Italian and international political agenda, and we are involved in the main networks protecting children’s and women’s rights.
WeWorld adopts the approach of human rights as a conceptual and methodological basis for its actions. WeWorld works in seven countries in the development Countries in collaboration with local partners in supporting or implementing projects designed to: protect children, ensure their access to education, to ensure their health and that of their mothers, promote the participation of children, gender equality and women's rights. Education and health are priorities, so the projects are based on a sponsorship program, which is implemented in kindergartens and primary schools for pupils aged 4 to 8.
In Tanzania WeWorld is leading a primary and pre-school-centered education program in three geographical areas, namely Temeke and Kinondoni Municipalities (Dar es Salaam) and Ludewa District Council. Moreover, in Dar es Salaam WeWorld is supporting children and youths victims of violence.
The education program is composed of three community-based projects. Two of them are based on co-financing partnerships between WeWorld and local NGOs: Organization for Community Development (OCODE) in Temeke and Kinondoni Municipalities and Southern Highlands Participatory Organization (SHIPO) in Ludewa District. The infrastructural project is directly implemented by WeWorld in Dar es Salaam.
The project supporting children and youths victims of trafficking, commercial sexual exploitation, domestic work, domestic violence and sexual violence is based on a co-financing partnership between with the local NGO Kiota Women Health and Development Organisation (KIWOHEDE).
The projects are implemented in close cooperation with local authorities ruled by Memorandum of Understanding.
Scope of the job
In close collaboration with the Country Representative and the Program Manager, the Program Officer will be responsible for the design of new projects, for the reporting (to WeWorld, donors and third parties), for the support in following up project implementation and gathering and dissemination of best practices.
- Project identification and elaboration for WeWorld funding as well as for institutional and private donors;
- Identify and track funding opportunities within the institutional donors’ strategy and action plan for initiation of new projects and give active contribution to the overall WeWorld effort in resource mobilization;
- Carry out research of information and analysis about donors and prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation;
- Carry out policy analysis and follow up of main evolution in the relevant sectors for WeWorld action (especially education, children’s and women’s rights) as well as in project management;
- Research on and contribute to studies, articles and advocacy material.
- Follow up of project implementation
- Provide support to technical and financial follow up of projects’ implementation, including field visits, according to WeWorld planning and procedures
- Support the management as well as the monitoring and evaluation of WeWorld programs / projects.
- Contribute to the implementation and review of WeWorld Tanzania strategic plan in cooperation with the other staffs, including participation to interim and annual planning and monitoring.
- Manage and coordinate scheduled reporting in compliance with We World’s and donors’ requirements
- Disseminate projects information to third parties (donors, Government of Tanzania, etc.)
- Support sharing of information between WeWorld Tanzania and WeWorld Headquarter
- Gathering and dissemination of best practices
- Assist the Program Manager in capturing lessons learnt from WeWorld project portfolio and support sharing of best practices and policy insights
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned that are directly linked to WeWorld programs and to institutional and country policy goals
Qualification and experience
- University Degree or Master in Social Sciences (e.g. Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Development Studies, Human Rights)
- At least 1-2 years of overseas experience in management of cooperation development projects
- Proved experience in designing projects, preferably about Quality Education, Gender Equality, Children’s Rights, to be submitted to the main Institutional donors (Italian Agency for Development Cooperation, European Union, UN and other agencies)
- Experience in civil society capacity building and project’s monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in development project in Tanzania will be considered a plus ranking factor
- Excellent project proposal writing skills
- Capable of working in team and supporting the partners in all phases of the Project Cycle Management
- Excellent communication skill and sensitivity in dealing with partner managers and solving critical issues
- Very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Good skills in MS Office applications especially Excel, Word and Power Point
- Italian Mother tongue; fluency in English
- Fluency in Swahili will be considered a plus ranking factor
Apply to http://lavoro.weworld.it/candidatura.php?id_an=161007&track=&langid=3
enclosing the following:
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Cover Letter, including the expected salary
- Specify three references, indicating telephone numbers and e-mail addresses