Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
In 2017, AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Key to AGRA’s mandate is the enhanced delivery of extension and advisory services to smallholder farmers in AGRA’s focal regions and specifically the Farm to Market Alliance (FMA) working areas.
Toward this goal, the position will lead farmer mobilization and training efforts in collaboration with Partners (WFP, Input Providers and others). The position will primarily focus on the Farm to Market Alliance being implemented in Tanzania and also offer services to other emerging consortia.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Associate Program Officer (APO), Extension.
Reporting to the Program Officer, Yieldwise with matrix reporting to the GST country team will be responsible for synthesizing knowledge and ‘best-bet’ extension approaches and practices that can be utilized by AGRA partners as well as the Government. Additionally the APO will be responsible for identifying appropriate ICT methods for training and monitoring extension service providers and famers in project areas. This position will be based in Tanzania.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinating input providers and AGRA implementing partners to develop a seasonal training calendar focusing on good pre and post-harvest management and marketing practices;
- Coordinating the identification and establishment of demonstration plots at the farm level with input and other technology providers, including post-harvest technology demonstrations;
- Leading development and revision of training materials and approaches in collaboration with Partners
- Leading improvement of training efficiency through advanced training methods and/or communication technology innovations;
- Leading development and management of budgets for the training operations in Tanzania
- Supporting technical extension issues to other consortia as may be required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Extension Education/Agriculture or related discipline;
- A relevant Masters’ degree will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in agricultural development projects with an added advantage of having worked with input companies/private sector;
- Demonstrated experience designing and establishing extension programs;
- Demonstrated experience working in partnerships and consortia and with rural communities’
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in developing agricultural training and dissemination of training methods including ToT training methodology
- Experience managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a team orientation and strong collaborative skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts).
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number. To be considered, applications must be received by 31st May, 2017.
Associate Program Officer, Extension (Job Reference: PO/TZ/10/2017)
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer