Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 30 Jun 2017
USAID Tusome Pamoja is a five-year, sector support program targeting better learning outcomes (focused on reading, writing and mathematics) at pre-primary and primary early grades (standards 1 through 4), in 31 Local Government Authorities of Mainland Tanzania across four regions of Tanzania – Iringa, Morogoro, Mtwara and Ruvuma - and 11 districts of Zanzibar. The goal of the program is to achieve age-appropriate, curriculum defined levels of reading and writing at standards 2 and 4 for at least 75% of classrooms in the target areas. An additional objective of the program is to develop, implement and demonstrate best approaches to strengthen the quality of education in the target regions for replication consideration in other regions.
In support of this national activity, the Government of Tanzania, represented by the President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG) has requested long-term technical assistance (LTTA) in order to scale-up the existing national school management tool- the School Information Systems (SIS)- incorporating it into all regions in Tanzania. The nationwide utilization of SIS will support the strengthening of institutional, technical and system capacities and will provide a robust pool of school performance data which can be used to better facilitate evidence-based decision and policy making
The EMIS Specialist will be responsible for overseeing the planning and delivery of SIS related project operations and all SIS related technical activities, ensuring that project staff collaborate effectively with government counterparts. S/he will be based in Dodoma with travel to Regional Secretariats (RS) and Local Government Authorities (LGA).
- Provide support to PO-RALG designated managers for the effective leadership and management of ICT projects, including the analysis of requests for information, systems enhancements and new systems as well as the development of appropriate proposals, business cases, write-ups and project plans.
- Support specialist Project Teams, including operations, work programming, performance, change management and financial management.
- Support the development of processes for, and the actual assistance of clients to formulate development of quality requests and analysis of new system requirements and information requests.
- Support the development of internal business reports including business cases, proposals and project plans, considering the business needs and the application architecture.
- Support the development of processes for and actual monitoring; support the review of business requests, in line with established protocols, corporate priorities, ICT strategy and legislative requirements and implement procedures to improve the management of requests. Support the current implementation/roll-out of SIS to new regions and LGA, as required
- Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalence from a recognized university and 9 years of experience; consideration may be given to alternative qualifications with at least 9 years’ experience and demonstrated performance track-record.
- At least 5 years of experience in ICT project management for national and decentralized public sector systems, with at least 1 year of experience as a chief technical advisor or project chief (technical).
- Proven business acumen and demonstrated ability to build business partnerships.
- Proven organization skills and ability to manage competing time demands for multiple projects within given timeframes.
- A creative thinker with an innovative approach to problem solving which is outcomes driven rather than process orientated.
- Strong proven experience working within the public sector, working with the building of decentralized systems capacity and human resource capacity.
- Experience in business process analysis preferably in a multi discipline environment.
- Highly developed analytical skills with an ability to remain focused on outputs and to adjust delivery mechanisms to meet deadlines and client needs.
- Demonstrated highly developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively negotiate and communicate specific issues where there are competing agendas and priorities.
- Energy and enthusiasm with a strong client focus The ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures
To Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply at http://m.rfer.us/RTIGu3XE. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. RTI is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.