Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 08 Jun 2017
Internews is seeking a Chief of Party for a potential USAID-funded media and civil society strengthening program in Tanzania. The program will aim to support an open, inclusive environment in which media and civil society provide accurate and impartial information that promotes participation, inclusion and accountability in Tanzania. A core focus of this activity will be the engagement and empowerment of women and youth in order to elevate their voices, influence, and issues in the public sphere as both producers and consumers of information.
The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for the program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and compliments other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives. He or she will be based in Tanzania full time for the duration of the program.
Note: Position contingent upon receipt of project funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Provide in-country leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for the program.
- Responsible for program management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, coordination with partners, and recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Supervise the implementation of sub-grants and act as the primary contact person with international and local sub-grantees.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities.
- Track and report project progress and activities against work plans on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Carry out human resource management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training staff and consultants; planning, assigning, directing and supervising work; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations including media houses and civil society organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media and freedom of expression issues as well as issues and events related to Tanzanian women and youth, and their rights and voices in public dialogue.
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all USAID grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the program’s primary budget authority, with responsibility for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Maintain regular contact with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Lead fundraising and development activities to advance and enrich programming in the country.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- 10 years of progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations and senior program management experience.
- Advanced degree (master’s or higher) in social sciences, media and communications, international development, management, or a related field.
- Previous experience as a proactive Chief of Party and/or Project Director with a strong reputation for developing collaborative working relationships with counterparts, media outlets, international organizations and donors.
- Successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects; and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs.
- International Development experience in Sub Saharan Africa, with experience working in Tanzania and/or other countries in East Africa highly preferred.
- Working experience in politically closed/closing spaces preferred.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets preferred.
- Experience in fundraising and development of innovative program concepts.
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in written and spoken Kiswahili a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment both virtually and in person, including with colleagues in different time zones.
- Willing and able to travel frequently.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our *Internews Benefits*page.
How to apply:
To apply please visit our Career Center