Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 09 Jun 2017
Internews is seeking a Finance and Operations Director for a potential USAID-funded media and civil society strengthening program in Tanzania. The program will aim to support an open, inclusive environment in which media and civil society provide accurate and impartial information that promotes participation, inclusion and accountability in Tanzania. A core focus of this activity will be the engagement and empowerment of women and youth in order to elevate their voices, influence, and issues in the public sphere as both producers and consumers of information.
The Finance and Operations Director will oversee the financial, operational and administrative aspects of the project. Responsibilities will include: ensuring the effective and efficient running of all operations including transport, security and administration; financial compliance and record-keeping; forecasting project spending; oversight of subgrant agreements with a primary focus on financial reporting; ensuring compliance with USAID and Internews rules and regulations; supporting internal and external audits; and mentoring and managing partner organizations and local staff.
Note: Position contingent upon receipt of project funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Monitors program accounting and documentation to ensure compliance with USAID requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures.
- Ensure proper spending procedures, documentation, and data entry.
- Support the COP’s efforts in project planning, budgeting, and administrative oversight.
- Develop, maintain and monitor internal controls.
- Report to Chief of Party, the Internews regional office and Internews US headquarters.
- Supervise all contractual commitments and ensure compliance with Tanzanian law, Internews policies and USAID regulations.
- Manage all bank accounts, transfers and local payments to suppliers and staff.
- Manage procurement processes according to Internews policies and USAID regulations.
- Monitor grants, contracts and sub-agreements.
- Ensure compliance by all sub-grantees to Internews and United States government regulations.
- Communicate with subgrantees on compliance issues and provide training/guidance as needed.
- Prepare contracts for and oversee local staff and consultants according to Tanzanian law and Internews regulations.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience managing finances and operations for large international NGO programs; including senior management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with USAID regulations, policies and grant procedures.
- Direct experience managing the finances and administration of US government-funded projects.
- Experience with project financial management including financial controls, sub-grants management, accounting and audits, as well as reporting on accruals, pipeline, and expense validation and reimbursement to service providers.
- CPA or Accounting degree desirable, MBA highly desirable.
- Experience supporting international development projects in East Africa and/or Tanzania preferred; experience in Sub-Saharan Africa required.
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in written and spoken Kiswahili a plus.
- Experience with skill evaluation, professional development, and staff training.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, Internet, and Quick Books.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment both virtually and in person, including with colleagues in different time zones.
- Willing and able to travel frequently.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
How to apply:
To apply please visit our Career Center