Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 09 Jun 2016
Position Title : Migration Health Nurse
Duty Station : Kigoma, Tanzania
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 June 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Dar Es Salaam, for administrative matters, Regional IOM MHD Coordinator for Africa and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer in Kigoma, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing clinical, administrative and project management support for migration health assessments and treatment of refugees assisted by the Organization.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of nurses and other auxiliary staff and assist Migration Health Officer in various duties related to ray and physical examination procedures. This includes logistic preparation for screening, handling and safekeeping of individual medical files, collection of data and medical history, ensuring identity checks of the applicants and confidentiality of information throughout the screening process.
- Ensure proper identification and coding of biological samples, maintain strict client confidentiality; liaise with various health service providers to facilitate handling of biological samples, and coordinate the procedures and supervision of the collection of sputum samples for culture and sensitivity for Tuberculosis (TB). In addition, Migration Health Nurse will coordinate and plan weekly activities in the camp related to the TST inoculations at Nyarugusu camp,
provide training for the nurses in TST administration and results reading.
- Organize and supervise vaccination process of the refugees ensuring compliance with the best practices and recommendations according the USRAP Expanded Vaccination Pilot Project.
- Provide suggestions to the supervisors to improve counselling for all medical testing, including HIV.
- Conduct/supervise departure treatment and embarkation assessments of 'fitness to travel' as required, maintain current relevant records and reports, supervise the implementation of treatment and up actions for cases on medical hold after health assessment, and supervise Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) management and directly observed treatment/ therapy course (DOTS) for TB.
- Follow up with implementing partners to ensure that up actions are done and relevant information flow is maintained. Partners include health service providers, panel physicians, other clinicians (e.g., consultants), and IOM Migration Health and Operations staff in Tanzania.
- Assist the Migration Health Officer in managing and implementing the health assessment programs as follows:
• Assist in coordinating the administrative duties and leaves of the staff under supervision;
• Assist in planning and monitoring the logistical requirements of the MHD department in Kigoma including safekeeping and management of inventory of stocks, medical supplies and equipment as well as tracking of expiry dates of drugs;
• Ensure the use of best practices, compliance with the donor countries technical instructions, and develop suggestions for improvement for the migration health assessment programmes;
• Assist the Migration Health Officer in liaising with various health service providers, other departments in IOM Tanzania, other IOM Missions and MHD/HQ on clinical, administrative and financial matters.
- Perform escort duties and duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Nursing or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Clinical experience as a registered Nurse;
• Experience in TB programmes, migration health, disease control, and public health of refugees and migrants as Nurse in an international organization, UN agency or hospital; health sector experience in Africa;
• Good writing, communication and negotiation skills;
• Good knowledge of nursing principles, techniques and procedures: knowledge of public health as well as general migration related issues;
• Demonstrated ability to maintain detail, accuracy and confidentiality at all levels of the health assessment process;
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Knowledge of specialized medical software is required. Knowledge of eMedical and Mimosa
Web is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Kiswahili is an advantage.
- To be transferred to Makere.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 09 June 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 27.05.2016 to 09.06.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/119 (P) - Migration Health Nurse (P2) - Kigoma, Tanzania (54809741) Released
Posting: Posting NC54809746 (54809746) Released