Organization: Developing World Connections
Closing date: 15 Jul 2016
Developing World Connections is a non-profit international development organization based in Kamloops, B.C. that sends resources and teams of volunteers to work on community-driven, sustainable projects in countries in Africa, Asia and Central/South America.
Job Title: Grants and Projects Officer
Job Summary: DWC is hiring for an exciting new position for a person with a proven track record in securing grant funding and field experience managing or co-ordinating development programs. If you have a portfolio of successful proposals and first-hand understanding of the complexities of implementing development programs, we want to hear from you.
• Conducts research on potential funding sources, such as government, corporate and charitable foundations;
• Maintains funding opportunity database and activity tracking system;
• Assembles and submits grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets and presentations;
• Establishes and maintains relationships with foundation contacts and program officers.
• Aids in the design, implementation and monitoring of development programs in consultation with DWC staff, stakeholders and international partners;
• Manages and reports on program budgets;
• Co-ordinates assessments and conducts field visits in order to collect and verify data;
• Researches and proposes best practices in development programs and NGO operations;
• Works closely with the communications co-ordinator to ensure accurate and appropriate impact stories are being developed regularly;
• Assists the executive director with strategic planning and the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of newly funded programs.
• Participates in setting organization-wide policy and implementing strategic plans;
• Occasionally leads international volunteer teams;
• Creates monitoring framework for the assessment of international projects;
• Assists with the recruitment of volunteers and team leaders;
• Other duties as required.
Year One Success Benchmarks
• Secure $20,000 in grant funding (this figure is intentionally low for the first year as DWC has no track record in pursuing grants. Ground work will be required to hit this target. Targets will be significantly higher in subsequent years);
• Create a monitoring and evaluation framework to measure, assess and report on the impact of DWC’s ongoing development programs and international volunteer teams;
• Develop program systems, reporting timelines, deliverables, partnership agreements and tracking processes.
Required Skills, Training and Attributes:
• Proven track record securing grant funding, establishing systems and protocols;
• Post-secondary degree in international development, political science, international relations or a related field (master’s degree preferred);
• Strong project co-ordination, analytical and organizational skills. Ability to work independently and part of a team;
• At least two years of experience living and working in the developing world;
• Experience in program development, monitoring and evaluation;
• Fluency in Spanish highly preferred.
This is a one-year contract position, with the strong possibility of renewal based on performance. International travel will be required (10-20%). Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been found. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits package option available to all staff members.
How to apply:
Interested candidates, please email your resume, cover letter and two examples of successfully funded grant applications to [email protected] , referencing Grants and Projects Officer in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.