Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 24 Sep 2016
Job title Human-Centered Design Consultant
Department Sales & Marketing
Based in Location Dar es Salaam
Reports to the Technical Advisor, Innovation
Who we are
We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Our Sales & Marketing Department has a newly established Innovation Team, which supports a range of projects using new and innovative techniques such as total market approach, social franchising, e-referral and human-centered design. The team has undergone training and practice in human-centered design, but still building our skills and our team. Our team aims to be creative, makers & doers, risk-taking, empathetic, open-minded, optimistic and iterative. We look to support our marketing department through new solutions and an energizing approach.
We are looking for Human-Centered Design (HCD) expert to help build the capacity of our Innovation Team in HCD and drive forward the prototyping phase of Adolescents 360 (A360), a program focused on improving reproductive health outcomes for adolescent girls in Tanzania through a developmentally informed HCD process. The HCD Consultant will be responsible for maintaining the speed of the prototyping process and training the Innovation Team through both formal theories and practical application.
The HCD consultant will be entering the program at a point when design research and synthesis have been completed, and early-stage prototypes have been developed. The consultant will be responsible for leading the team through the prototype phase, resulting in fully-formed prototypes ready for piloting by October 2016.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will be responsible for the development of human-centered design skills, team development and preparing our prototypes for pilot stage. You will work with the Innovation Technical Advisor and Adolescents 360 Country Lead to push forward the prototyping process, with the goal of having an intervention ready for pilot by October 2016.
Build Innovation Team Capacity
- Train Innovation team on HCD through formal training and concepts
- Build team's capacity in design research and in identifying and articulating insights as compared to observations, facts and data
- Lead Innovation team through hands-on practice implementing HCD through prototyping of A360 ideas
- Promote creativity and open ideas through team assignments, team makeup and other relevant team building and development strategies
- Onboard and train new Innovation team members and other relevant PSI staff
- Manage the creative design process of A360 prototype ideas
- Implement flexible program monitoring and evaluation systems appropriate for the level of prototype
- Help prepare internal, regional and donor sharing documents and reports on the program's process
- Identify local craftspeople and creative talent to create a pool of makers that can be called on when needed
- Basic initiation/training of local makers on the HCD process, priming them for the teams' work flow and process
- Co-develop and co-lead a visit from key internal and external stakeholders
- Design the program and objectives for the week
- Co-facilitate the learning process and HCD process
- Build participants understanding of and skills in HCD
- You have a bachelors degree in design, public health, business development, social sciences or relevant field
- You have at least four years of experience in human-centered design
- You have passion and experience in building local skills and team development
- You have worked using an HCD approach in the developing world
- You have experience working in public health, NGOs and/or the social sector
- You have led teams of other designers in a human centered design process
- References will be required.
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institution, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision for the country staff. You have successfully helped your teams learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
A systems thinker. You are able to develop system-wide solutions, connecting several ideas into a larger and coherent solution. You can look at the big picture and understand the opportunities in the Tanzanian setting.
A strategist and an innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTERS AND CVS TO: [email protected]
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply:
Click here to apply PI95016699