Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 25 Aug 2016
Shelter/WASH Project Manager - Kibondo - Tanzania
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
DO YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE IN START UPS OF SHELTER/WASH ACTIVITIES FOR REFUGEES? HERE IS AN ATTRACTIVE OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU.
In mid-April 2016, NRC conducted a Pre-Assessment mission in the refugee camps of Mtendeli/Karago, Nduta and Nyarugusu of Tanzania to gain an understanding of the humanitarian situation, identify gaps and needs for the Burundian refugees in the Country. The assessment revealed that the humanitarian situation for the refugees requires urgent intervention as the needs in almost all the sectors relevant to NRC are high. As of May 2016, Tanzania was hosting over 140,007 Burundian refugees and number was project by UNHCR to reach 170,000 people by the end of 2016. In view of this, NRC has decided to establish an operational office in Kibondo area in north western Tanzania to respond. The initial focus of the operation will be in Mtendeli/Karago and Nduta refugee camps. NRC will start with interventions focusing on two sectors, shelter (transitional, including a WASH component; family latrines) and education (initially construction of permanent classrooms).
The purpose of the Shelter/WASH Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
- Line management for project staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and Core Competence strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant Core Competence projects
- Coordinate and manage Shelter/WASH project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Manager and the Core Competence Specialist
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with Cs) and coordinate across Core Competencies
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific Task
- Technical Support to the emergency operations and technical guidance of staff members
- Lead and guide the preparation of design solutions, validation of Bills of materials and quantities as well as work schedules;
- Participate and contribute to thematic meetings, workshops, work groups, and other meetings taking place in the context of the activities
- Backstop the development of new shelter/WASH prototypes and contribute to the settlement strategy formulation
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective shelter and WASH strategy in consultation with other connected staff, line management, partners and donors.
- In close collaboration with the Country core competency specialists for NRC project(s) to jointly oversee implementation of activities.
- To conduct new assessments and from these to develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Higher level qualification in Project Cycle Management - Emphasis on humanitarian contexts
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field
- 3 years project management experience
- Experience working in a WASH or Shelter programme in a humanitarian context desirable
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills
- Problem solving ability; able to enforce procedures
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks; able to take the initiative in project decisions
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building
- Civil engineering / construction
- College / University, Master / Phd grade
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Ability and willingness to work and live under difficult circumstances
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12 Months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard. Please note that tax fees may occur for some countries.
- Duty station: Kibondo with travels
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Please, apply through www.nrc.no, then vacancies