Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 01 Jan 2017
Working under the direct supervision of the Water Mission - Tanzania Country Program Director, position is responsible for applying sound engineering principles, project and program management techniques, and excellent written and verbal communications skills to manage scopes of work, schedules, and budgets of a large solar powered safe water project in western Tanzania covering multiple locations, water sources, treatment and storage installations, and access points. This role will require establishing residence in Kasulu, Tanzania (in the Kigoma region) for a minimum of three years. Given the required location, travel to and from the applicant’s country/location of permanent residence will be provided once per year .
Position Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Participate in a minimum three-month study and orientation period including travel to other Water Mission country programs in East Africa. The duration of stay in countries outside Tanzania is expected to be one month.
- Study, embrace, advocate, and lead staff to understand and adhere to Water Mission vision, mission, standards, and values in all areas of office and project operations
- An active Christian faith: responsible to lead staff by example and in devotions and prayer
- Abide by the policies and requirements of the Water Mission Code of Conduct and Staff Policy Manual for Tanzania (a copy available upon request)
- Work in a team environment to provide leadership, direction, and assistance for engineers, technicians, community development staff, administrative personnel, and volunteers
- Prepare written proposals and cost estimates
- Manage multiple simultaneous projects in different locations
- Maintain good communications with Water Mission staff and partner organizations
- Ensure that each portion of the work is executed according to an agreed upon Scope of Work, Design, Schedule and Budget to a best-in-class level of excellence
- Prepare and submit agreed upon Project Status Reports
- Provide training to staff of other organizations regarding maintenance and operation of implemented solutions
- Provide approval of all office and project related expenses and purchase orders
- Conduct field inspections and site assessments
- Participate in disaster response activities as needed
- Prepare and make presentations to the Operations Team, Strategic Partners, donors and volunteers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Chemical, Environmental, Mechanical or other Engineering field. Other degrees considered are Construction Management, Science or Mathematics.
- Minimum 7 years of progressive engineering, including project management experience of large engineering projects
- Advanced skills with MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and familiarity with engineering software such as MS Project, AutoCAD, etc.
- Well grounded, active Christian faith consistent with Water Mission statement of faith (see here)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent relationship and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- P.E. license preferred
- The position is contingent upon successfully applying and being granted a permit to work in Tanzania on a full time extended basis