Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 26 Sep 2016
Objective of the position
To ensure that the project partners deliver effective and efficient services to vulnerable children, in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ strategy, policies and procedures, and as per partner contracts as entered into between Terre des Hommes Netherlands and the partner.
1. Analysis of project proposals and assessment of partner organisations
- Analyse the project partners’ context and operational, organisational and project management, participate in conducting context analysis of proposed projects, including budgets, and evaluate whether the proposed project is in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ policies, strategy and laid–down selection criteria such as formulated within the Calls for Proposals.
- Prepare the necessary documentation for approval of new and on-going partnerships and project proposals according to the Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ guidelines and formats.
- Advise whether or not to give the proposal further consideration and discuss the analysis with the Country Manager, and others as appropriate, in preparation for final decision making.
2. Programme results for the partner and programme portfolio
- Support and monitor the project partners through regular communications and programme visits at least once per quarter and ensure that programme and finance commitments as per partner contracts are being fulfilled. Liaise with the Finance and Administration Officer regarding budgets and expenditure.
- Ensure that all scheduled partner and project reports such as progress and financial reports are delivered timely and that they are of good quality, according to Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ standards, analyse the received information and compile the necessary reports to CM.
- Support the Marketing and Communication Officer at Regional Office with information and materials for marketing and communication, e.g. for the newsletters.
- Inform relevant persons/organisations/institutions on support given to project partners, project activities and expected results. Maintain the database and regularly update project documentation/ files for reference by all concerned.
3. Capacity building of partners
- Apply Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ tools in organisational assessment, M&E and capacity building.
- Identify together with project partners areas for further improvement on management and/ or programme quality of project partners and define frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational and project management.
- Guide project partners, give capacity building training and give direction so that they improve on quality of work, efficiency, effectiveness of the desired outputs and sustainability of results.
- Safeguard project quality by maintaining an overview of supported projects and evaluating the quality of work and results. Ensure that project partners follow the terms and conditions of the signed agreements; facilitate them to keep track of key factors in project management, implementation and monitoring of results.
4. Other responsibilities
- As part of a team, translate developments and situation specific information into thematic and country annual and strategic policies.
- To assist in the continuous assessment of child protection needs and gaps in the country in order to ensure that these are appropriately reflected in project strategies and interventions.
- To identify new trends and developments in the area of child exploitation.
- Generate an individual implementation work-plan in line with agreed-on policies.
- As and when relevant, coordinate activities of assigned consultants for specific tasks, such as research, etc.
- Perform any other duties as relevant for the country programme and as can reasonably be expected from the position, in consultation with the Country Manager.
Expected Key Results
- Preparation for decision-making on approval of project proposals and partnerships is done in such a way that the Country Manager can make a motivated recommendation to the Regional Office.
- Improved quality of project management and quality service provision to beneficiaries, efficiency, effectiveness of the desired outputs and sustainability of results.
- Improved quality of Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ programmes, maximum results at beneficiary level and sufficient quality information to the donors.
- Timely and qualitative reporting, both in narrative as well as financial, on partner contracts in the software as used by Terre des Hommes Netherlands.
- Timely and pro-active advice to the Country Manager on developments at partner-level, project location, country-wide and other, that will influence the expected outcomes of the projects and programme.
Knowledge and experience
- MA in a relevant field, such as development cooperation, child rights, etc.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a similar position
- Experience with Child Rights based programming is an advantage
- Experience with Lobby & Advocacy
- Proven experience in capacity building of civil society organisations
- Knowledge of and experience in project cycle management, including the use of logical framework, theory of change and other planning tools
- Experience with financial management
- Knowledge of the political, religious and social structures of the country/ region and the relevant language(s)
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English and Swahili
This position requires frequent travel within the country as well as occasionally to the regional office.
- Results - oriented
- Entrepreneurial and independent attitude
- Quality - oriented
- Able to plan and organise
- Reliable and authentic
- Able to empathise
- Able to communicate well, both verbally and in writing
We offer a challenging and responsible position in a changing environment. Terre des Hommes Netherlands is a result-driven, professional organisation staffed by individuals dedicated and determined to prevent and fight child exploitation. Terre des Hommes Netherlands is an informal organisation where innovative plans are very much appreciated and decisions can be made quickly given the transparent, decentralised and basic organisational structure. We offer a competitive salary, together with a comprehensive package of secondary benefits, including pension scheme contribution, health insurance, child education allowance, travel allowance, etc.How to apply:
Please send your motivation letter together with your detailed CV by e-mail to the Operations Manager at the Regional Office in Nairobi, on [email protected] before Monday 26th September, 2016. You are required to clearly demonstrate how you meet the required qualifications for this position. References are required and will be verified.
For more information on the position you may contact the Country Manager for Tanzania on [email protected] **