Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 20 Oct 2017
The Media Business Advisor will work with the Country Director, the Media and Communications Director, and other Internews programs staff to strengthen the financial sustainability of Tanzanian media outlets. S/he will work closely with Internews program staff and partner Audience Research Company on media business data collection, processing and dissemination. S/he will train and support Tanzanian media managers, and marketing and advertisement personnel on financial management, marketing and organizational development in order to improve their management structures, revenue collection and eventual financial independence.
This is a senior position which requires sound technical knowledge and skills in the areas of media business management/development, organizational development, planning and strategy, and finance and administration.
Note: Tanzanian citizens are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful candidate must have work authorization in Tanzania.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide practical advice to strengthen partner media outlets’ revenue generation capacities, in order to enable them to achieve financial sustainability.
- Set up a Media Market Forum – a working group made up of media development implementers, media business leaders, major advertisers, public polling firms, Telecoms, ISPs, and ad agencies—that will specifically map out the ways and means through which the media development community in Tanzania can efficiently assist media outlets with audience research and measurement aimed at increasing and diversifying their revenue sources and increasing income generation.
- Ensure regular coordination of the Media Market Forum stakeholders around matters of common interest.
- Closely coordinate with partner Audience Research Company on the production of regular audience research and in particular establish comparability among media outlets.
- Work with community radios on professional market studies and action plans that will enable them to systematically explore revenue generation in their immediate neighborhoods and vicinities.
- Provide training on core business skills-- such as budgeting, financial management, goal setting and tracking results--to Tanzanian media outlets and community radio stations, and work with them to articulate and follow business plans.
- Mentor media personnel on core management issues, with the ultimate goal of supporting retention of journalists and other media professionals/workers, as well as overall editorial independence.
- Assess and develop the capacity of Tanzanian media business trainers.
- Coach media to interact with local, national and international businesses, for revenue generation purposes on behalf of their media outlets.
- Guide media managers and personnel in linking market research and audience data with media programming and business operations.
- Support program team to define small equipment grants for key independent media outlets.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Country Director/Chief of Party, the Media and Communications Director/Deputy Chief of Party, the Regional office, and HQ offices.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or related areas of study. MBA or other relevant business Masters’ Degree highly preferred. Professional training in organizational development would be an advantage.
- Minimum five years of experience in business management in the media in Tanzania and/or other countries in Africa.
- Previous experience working on programs funded by international donors (preferably USAID) a plus. Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations an advantage.
- Extensive experience in strategic business management, organizational capacity development, financial and operational analysis, financial reporting, etc.
- Experience in adult learning and/or organizing and providing training.
- Comparative knowledge and experience in media business management and development across multiple international organizations and countries, and ability to instill and transfer best industry practices would be an advantage.
- Experience in and excellent knowledge of capacity building of junior and senior staff.
- Experience in applying fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of strategic business management and strategic marketplace analysis.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili required.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and manage individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds and expertise, resulting in high quality and timely work delivery.
- Strong analytical, training, oral and written communication, and team-building skills.
- Proficiency in financial management software.
- Strong Information Technology skills. Working knowledge of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint required.
- Management, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Planning and strategy skills.
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills, and ability to interpret market information for decision-making.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships both internally with colleagues and externally with project partners through collaboration, negotiation and teamwork.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of a team.
- A teamwork oriented person who is also able to work on his or her own initiative.
- Willingness to travel to project areas in different locations across the country.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit our Career Center.