Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 15 Dec 2017
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 7 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House is seeking a Project Consultant based in Amman, Jordan to oversee a project titled “Mussawat Lil Izdihar (Equality for Prosperity).” The Project Consultant will work with businesses, civil society, and government stakeholders to improve the workplace environment and legal framework for working women. The project goal is to generate broad-based support for workplace gender equality that will increase women’s employment and improve working conditions for women in Jordan.
The Project Consultant will spend approximately eight days per month for two years overseeing all program activities in Jordan. The Project Consultant will be supported and backstopped by a part-time Program Assistant based in Amman, Jordan. The Project Consultant will report to Freedom House’s Middle East and North Africa program staff based in Washington, D.C.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required. Applicant must be able to express themselves clearly and concisely in English.
- Minimum of 15-20 years’ experience working on donor-funded projects, especially in the women’s rights or democracy sector
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant discipline (i.e. political science, gender studies, law)
- Demonstrated ability to lead gender equality trainings with the private sector
- Acute understanding of Jordan’s workplace gender inequality and capability to craft new business policies that improve conditions for workplace gender equality
- Experience managing private sector and civil society stakeholders, especially in an advocacy group
- Experience designing and/or leading gender equality advocacy campaigns with the Jordanian government, especially related to women’s rights in the workplace
- Familiarity managing gender equality awareness-raising campaigns
- Outstanding organizational skills, including proven ability to translate broad project objectives into an implementation plan and to complete implementations plan on time and on budget
Note: Applicants may apply to choose to apply for one, two, or all three of the consultant components below. Applicants must identify which components they are applying to in their cover letter; any applicant who does not do so will be assumed to be applying for all three components.
- Training for private-sector businesses and developing new policies with businesses: The Project Consultant will design and lead a gender equality training for Jordanian businesses. The Project Consultant will work with businesses to design and implement new gender equality policies.
- Leading advocacy with government: The Project Consultant will manage a stakeholder group to advocate with government for the adoption of national gender equality provisions.
- Managing a private-sector campaign: The Project Consultant will oversee a private-sector awareness-raising campaign related to workplace gender equality.
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.*
How to apply:
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to submit the following in ENGLISH:
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations