Since 2014, R4D/Tanzania has been implementing a multi-year project to increase access to pneumonia treatments, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), with additional funding from Good Ventures. The project is focused on scaling up access to treatments for childhood pneumonia - the leading killer of children under five - across public and private sectors in Tanzania. Combining detailed analysis with market-shaping implementation and robust program monitoring, evaluation and learning (ME&L) techniques, R4D aims to systematically identify and address the underlying causes of the lack of appropriate access to pneumonia treatments globally and at the country level. R4D is also conducting operational research on a set of targeted quality of care interventions and exploring additional cost-effective areas for impact, such as oxygen therapy and pulse oximetry diagnostics in a light-touch manner. In addition, the Tanzania team portfolio is working on shaping markets in other health and nutrition areas.
Title: Program Officer (PO)
Reports to: Program Director
Term: 2 years, renewable
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
R4D/Tanzania is seeking a highly motivated Program Officer (PO) to join the Market Shaping team and support the Tanzania team’s expanding portfolio of work which includes shaping markets for increased access to pneumonia treatments and across other health, education and nutrition areas. Over time, the PO’s role and scope of work will likely expand to encompass additional support functions as the Tanzania team’s portfolio grows.
The PO will be responsible for providing day-to-day leadership over significant components of large projects across the Tanzania team’s portfolio, structuring complex quantitative and qualitative analytics, forging strong partnerships, and leading discussions, with a large variety of stakeholders which include government officials, private sector partners, implementing partners and donors at different levels.
As such, a strategic mindset with strong communications skills and a personable nature is critical to the success of the PO in this role, particularly when engaging with stakeholders and facilitating meetings about R4D/Tanzania’s work.
The ideal candidate will be a highly collaborative team player who feels comfortable taking on new challenges and operate with autonomy in different settings. The candidate shall have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and multicultural settings and be able to strategically navigate ambiguous situations, should they arise.
Local candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Additional responsibilities will encompass a range of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Crafting approaches to identify and resolve bottlenecks in the access to essential commodities in Tanzania’s private and public sectors
- Structuring complex qualitative and quantitative analyses, ensuring the collection of underlying data sets and the conducting of expert interviews
- Independently developing data-driven presentations and deliverables to clearly communicate key findings and recommendations to internal and external audiences
- Establishing and managing collaborative and positive relationships with diverse stakeholders (e.g. manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, government agencies, procurers, and implementing partners)
- Designing and creating advocacy programs and materials to generate an increased awareness of and access to essential medicines in the private sector
- Supporting the design of operational research around quality of care behavior change interventions for public and private sector health professionals
- Contributing to internal administrative projects critical to the development of a rapidly growing team and organization
- BA with 5 years of relevant work experience in pharmaceutical markets, public health, public policy, business administration and/or health systems, preferably across the private and public sectors, or, an MA + 3 years of relevant work experience
- Prior experience independently managing workstreams or projects
- Proven experience structuring and conducting high quality complex quantitative and qualitative analytics
- Demonstrated background in proactively and creatively solving problems in an ambiguous setting.
- Proven experience creating collaborative partnerships, and successfully establishing and managing external relationships in multicultural environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver compelling presentations
- Understanding of private sector supply and value chains and familiarity with public sector drug procurement processes
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Fluency in Swahili and/or experience working in the Tanzanian health sector is desirable
- Willingness to travel up to 15% domestically, per project needs
- To apply, please submit your application and upload your resume and cover letter by clicking here.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.