Organization: Wildlife Conservation Society
Closing date: 31 Dec 2017
Reports to the Regional Directors of the East & Southern Africa and Madagascar & WIO Regions. Secondary report to the Deputy Director of Finance & Administration of the Africa Program. This position will involve regular travel to WCS Country Offices within the region (including Mozambique, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Madagascar and Kenya) approximately 25% of time. The position will be based out of the WCS office in one of these country offices with the exact location to be negotiated with the successful candidate.
SUMMARY OF POSITION FUNCTION:
The main purpose of this role will be to oversee the budget and finances of the two regions, and to provide direct support to the Regional Directors in managing the operations of the Regional Programs. The Regional Business Manager will continually assess and document the financial health of the Regional Programs, develop both short and long-term financial plans for the Regions, and work with the Regional Directors, the Regional Financial Controller, and associated Country Program staff on grant management and fundraising. S/he regularly provides reports for management in the regions and headquarters.
• Financial Management and Planning: Ensure Regional Directors have the financial information they require to manage and fundraise for the Regions; Provide monthly key performance indicators for each country and all multi-country grants; Work with Regional Controller to resolve any issues with finances in the Regions; Annual presentation of short and long term financial plans for each country with detailed variance analysis on prior plans; Report regularly to headquarters about the financial state of the Regions.
• Budget Leadership: Manage and maintain the Regional Program budgets; Lead the annual WCS budgeting process for all countries in the Regions; Responsible for working with Country Finance teams to understand and report on full program costs; Serve as the budget lead for regional grants; Review country budget adjustments, budget to actual reports, and ensure regular and timely budget updates.
• Proposal Review: Working in coordination with NY grant departments, contribute to the development of and approve all proposal budgets from the Regions – ensure budgets are covering costs and are contributing to strengthening the Regional Programs; ensure budgets are in line with long-term financial plan for the Regions; ensure budgets are developed in compliance with WCS policies and undergo appropriate reviews.
• Grant Management: Ensure regional grant administration is on track; Coordinate preparation of financial reports for regional grants; Review and approve grant financial reports prepared by Country Programs and coordinate required signoffs by NY finance team; Support Country Programs in understanding WCS grant management processes, systems, tools and donor compliance requirements.
• People Management: Work with Regional Directors to manage regional grant and financial staffing; Support the recruitment of grant/finance/administration staff as needed. Analyses capacity building needs and provide capacity building and training to country and regional financial staff on financial management, budgeting, grant management and fundraising as required.
• Business Planning and Fund Raising: Work with the Regional Directors and Country Directors in the regions to design, develop, implement and monitor a 5-year Business Plan and fundraising strategy for each of the regions.
• Perform other duties as determined by the Regional Directors.
The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership, business partnering and influencing skills. S/He must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor, leader and listener in group settings. S/He must be well organized, self-motivated, resourceful, effective and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done, with attention to detail; can work on multiple tasks at multiple levels and switch between them; can foresee and plan around obstacles.
· Bachelor degree required, MBA preferred. Related program of study such as finance, accounting, economics or business highly preferred.
· Proven financial management experience in an international organization (5+ years) including staff management experience.
· Effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic; Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team. Must be solution-oriented, and have strong problem solving and analytical skills.
· Demonstrated experience in a developing country context including time spent living and working in East Africa, Madagascar or the Western Indian Ocean region
· English fluency and a strong working knowledge of French (or vice versa) are required. Competency in Portuguese is also a plus.
· Excellent computer and systems skills required with respect to MS Office applications (advanced skills in MS Excel required) and major financial accounting and reporting software (SAP or equivalent)
· Experience with grants management, budgeting, and grant reporting in a multi-funder environment required (experience with US government funding such as USAID or USFWS, EU, KfW, GEF and others a benefit).
· Strong problem solving and analytical skills and the ability to creatively contribute to thinking on regional issues
· Self-motivated and organized with attention to detail
· Must be solution oriented with excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team including staff from different cultures, with attention to mentorship and professional development of finance staff
How to apply:
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should apply by sending an application letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three references to the addresses below not later than December 31, 2017. Please include “ESA & MWIO Business Manager” in the subject line of your email. Send to: [email protected] Candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal by searching job title at: http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Home » »Unlabelled » Job: Regional Business Manager, E & S Africa and Madagascar & W. Indian Ocean Regions
Published December 04, 2017