Since 2014, R4D/Tanzania has been implementing a multi-year project to increase access to pneumonia treatments, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), with additional funding from Good Ventures. This project is focused on scaling up access to treatments for childhood pneumonia - the leading killer of children under five - across public and private sectors in Tanzania. Combining detailed analysis with market-shaping implementation and robust program monitoring, evaluation and learning (ME&L) techniques, R4D aims to systematically identify and address the underlying causes of the lack of appropriate access to pneumonia treatments globally and at the country level. R4D is also conducting operational research on a set of targeted quality of care interventions and exploring additional cost-effective areas for impact, such as oxygen therapy and pulse oximetry diagnostics in a light-touch manner. In addition, the Tanzania team portfolio is working on shaping markets in other health and nutrition areas.
Title: Senior Program Associate (SPA)
Reports to: Senior Program Officer (SPO)
Term: 2 years, renewable
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
R4D Tanzania is seeking a highly motivated Senior Program Associate (SPA) to join the Market Shaping team and support the Tanzania team’s expanding portfolio of work which includes shaping markets for increased access to pneumonia treatments and across other health, education and nutrition areas. Over time, the SPA’s role and scope of work will likely expand to encompass additional support functions as the Tanzania team’s portfolio grows.
Essential for this role will be strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills as well as the ability to skillfully communicate, both verbally and in writing, with a variety of stakeholders – government officials, private sector, implementing partners and donors. The ideal candidate will be a highly collaborative team player, possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills with experience independently driving analysis. The candidate should be a strategic thinker who is able to handle ambiguity and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and multicultural setting.
Local candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Responsibilities will encompass a range of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Conducting in-depth primary and secondary research and qualitative and quantitative analyses, including critical review of literature and interviews with experts, to identify bottlenecks in public and private essential commodity markets primarily in Tanzania
- Developing presentations and deliverables to communicate key findings and recommendations from analyses to internal and external audiences
- Engaging extensively and effectively with diverse stakeholders (e.g. government agencies, procurers, policymakers, healthcare providers, implementing partners and private sector entities)
- Supporting and leading aspects of commodity procurement, product registration, and contract management activities for the successful implementation of project objectives
- Supporting the development of forecasting and supply planning tools
- Supporting monitoring, evaluation and learning activities, including the development of data collection tools and conducting data analyses to draw out evidence-based recommendations
- Supporting the design and development of quality of care behavior change interventions
- Contributing to internal administrative projects critical to the development of a rapidly growing team and organization
- BA in Pharmacy, Business Administration, Public Administration, or Public Health related field
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in global health related to healthcare markets or health systems (OR, an MA in related field of study plus 1 year of relevant work experience
- Proven experience managing and analyzing large, complex databases, independently developing analytical products and efficiently tracking and reporting project indicators and achievements
- Understanding of supply and value chains and familiarity with public sector drug procurement processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to prepare compelling written reports and presentations
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
- Previous experience monitoring upstream and/or downstream supply of vertical program commodities in the public-sector healthcare system, and/or experience in national quantification activities is preferred
- Private sector supply chain management / supply chain optimization experience preferred
- Previous exposure to trainings, mentoring/supervision, or other quality of care activities with healthcare providers desirable
- Fluency in Swahili and/or experience working in the Tanzanian public health sector, such as with the Tanzania Food and Drugs Authority (TFDA), Medical Stores Department (MSD), and/or the Ministry of Health (MoHCDGEC) is a plus
- Willingness to travel 10-15% domestically
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit your application and upload your cover letter and resume by clicking here.
No telephone or email inquiries please.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.