Conditions of Award
Eligible applicants must have completed or submitted their PhDs in the past five years (i.e. since or in 2013) or be about to submit their PhDs. Applicants who are about to submit their PhDs are encouraged to apply but no fellowship can be awarded until the PhD has been submitted. Eligible applicants may not have held any prior permanent or academic posts.
The successful candidate:
- will have conducted doctoral research on one or more political parties in East or Southern Africa, with preference given to research outside of South Africa, especially in Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania;will have experience in conducting fieldwork in East or Southern Africa;
- will have published papers in recognised peer-reviewed journals or as Working Papers in recognised scholarly
- will be required to conduct research on political parties as part of a larger research team;
- will be required to attend and participate in workshops, seminars and other activities in the Institute;
- will be expected to undertake light teaching and/or supervision of students;
- will research, write and revise papers for publication as Working Papers and for submission to journals and or books;
- may not hold any other fellowships without the permission of the Director of the Instit
- may not undertake employment of any nature without the permission of the Director of the Institute.
- The value of the fellowship will be between R250,000 and R310,000 per annumThe fellowship may be renewed for a second year subject to satisfactory progress and availability of funds.
- Additional funds may be available for reasonable research expenses outside of South Africa.
Eligible candidates should provide the following:
- A letter describing research interests and the candidate’s suitability for the fellowship;
- a CV that includes details of all degrees, publications and presentations at seminars and conferences;
- the names of two academic referees who have taught or supervised the candidate at university.
- Enquiries and completed application should be sent to [email protected]
The closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 13th December 2017